Frequently Asked Questions
As complex topics with diverse opinions can’t easily be captured in a Wikipedia article, Facebook, or Reddit. Opinions on those topics are often irreconcilable and trying to create a definitive viewpoint results in either compromise, conflict or isolated echo-chambers.
This is why we have built Kap.ai where members can create communities around topics they care about, where each member has a different weight based on their reputation within the community, allowing to scale the number of members infinitely without creating unnecessary clutter, which will result in building the best body of knowledge on each topic.
In Maori, the language of the indigenous population of New Zealand, kapa means a group of people or team, and Pai means to like, to approve, to be good. The combination of these words, Kapai, represents the essence of our idea: a group effort to find the best content on every topic.
It’s very simple: you put your money (aka, your reputation) where your mouth is.For any action you take within the Kapa you need to stake some of your VP:
- When voting, you risk 1% of your total VP.
- When proposing an item, your risk is equivalent to voting for your item, but your reward, if the item is accepted, is much higher as gratitude for your contribution to the Kapa.
- The voting period is open for 24 hours but can end earlier if the Kapa reaches a consensus before that time.
- When voting ends, we calculate all the VP that voted yay or nay and the group that won the vote gets the VP that was staked by the losing party and additional VP that is printed upon every vote.
The idea is to group together people with shared interests and perspectives. If you like the same content as the rest of the group, your VP in that Kapa increases, and if your taste is different, over time you will lose reputation (VP) and become less important for a particular Kapa.
It is important to note that achieving high VP is not the goal. Your goal is to be part of a group of individuals who like the same content in a specific domain. Accordingly, sometimes it’s simply better to leave an existing Kapa that is not a good fit and find yourself a new home (or start a new Kapa of your own that others can join).
No, the Kapa is fully decentralized and run by its VP members; nobody, including the creator, has an advantage over others.
The only difference is that the creator has a pool of VP to invite new members (which can’t be used for voting). Once this pool, or reserve, is expended, the creator must use their own VP to invite new members to the Kapa.
Yes. We believe information is something to share with others and must be always free.
Please note that while each Kapa is public for everyone to view, and even to join and contribute, only members with VP make decisions.
Yes! All Kapas are public to view and join, but please note that you will have no Voting Power until you prove yourself worthy.
- For every new item you propose to the Kapa that is accepted by current members with VP, you will gain 10 VP.
- When you invite people to the Kapa, once at least one person joins via your invitation, you will be rewarded with 1 VP.
Once you have VP, you can use it to vote on future proposals from other people. You can also risk some of your VP when proposing new items—the more you risk, the more confident you are—which will result in the item going higher in the queue for VP members to vote on.
If this new user just wants to read the items your Kapa has curated, then good for you! You have an audience. And if this user also proposes new, good items, it means you have more help with curating great content for your Kapa.
This may mean you have no VP in this Kapa. Try to help the group effort in the Kapa and earn some VP.
If you do have VP, it means you are too late to the party and the Kapa reached a decision while snoozed - voting is open for 24 hours but can end earlier in the case that the Kapa reaches a majority before then.
Absolutely. At the top of Kapai’s home page, simply click the “Create” link.It’s important to note the following:
- Kapa creation is not available on mobile yet. We will add this option soon.
- Your newly created Kapa will not be public immediately. After it has some activity (some users and a few items) it will go through a review process to ensure that it’s not spammy content. You can still invite people or send them the link to view, but it will not be shown on Kapai’s directory.
Coming soon: stay tuned! :)
Feel free to shot us an email: support [at] kap.ai